Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Quietly Been Back for Some Time

We've been back in China for some time now (about a month). Life is very busy now. School has been demanding for all. Lee has a supervisory position this year, and after a fun year in the wilderness teaching elementary, I'm back to teaching high school.

The past month hasn't generated any good stories or pictures, so I really don't have much to say. I do have some good pictures left over from last year, and I'll start posting some more of those.

It was really, really good to see friends and family back in the U.S.A. We are sorry for those of you that we missed. It was not so nice to spend so much money. We try to tell ourselves that we were making up for a year of no clothes shopping (in reality is was more like two years, because we kind of skated by on old clothes last year), but that doesn't really make us feel better.

One of the things that surprised me when I talked to friends back home was that, of everything I blogged about, the one subject that generated the most interest, and the most questions, were my travails as a incurable handyman trying to fix up my apartment in the hardware and building supply wasteland that is retail China. I thought I was beating a dead horse on that subject, so I actually passed on a whole lot of little stories and anecdotes that I could have told.

So, by apparent popular demand, I will expand my offerings of do-it-yourselfer nightmares in China. Obviously, I have a bit of a niche carved out for myself. Maybe I'll take up some new hobbies so I can subject myself to further hardware humiliations. Perhaps I can generate some more material from school, where I have been appointed the "master carpenter" for the high school drama program (so much less impressive than it sounds, but don't think for one minute that I won't milk it for all it's worth on my resume).

One final note. Lee and I have been discussing merging our three blogs, with the idea that the two of us together can give everyone more frequent and consistent posts. Any opinions? Give us some comments.

5 comments:

  1. I think a merged blog seems like a good idea. You wouldn't have to debate on who gets to tell which story, though! Or maybe you still would...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! A 3 blog merger.

    Kind of like http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/
    but there wouldn't be a certain day of the week that the categories would need to be posted -- just whenever it comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merged blogs: good idea!

    Thought of you when I was recently in a local hardware store. I asked for a 1/2 inch chrome pipe escutcheon. After some verbal jockying and eyebrown raising, we settled on "pipe flange." My order was fulfilled, but I like "escutcheon" better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love when I'm looking for something at a hardware store and don't know what it's called. Especially when I'm using it for something other than it's intended purpose (which is at least half the time). Always amusing.

    Another vote in favor of merging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I've been trying to convince Don to merge. I even threatened to stop blogging altogether if we don't... which is a very easy threat since I haven't been blogging at all lately!

    ReplyDelete